A winning smile isn’t all about boasting straighter, whiter teeth. The gums, tongue, and lips all have important roles to play in creating the desired appearance. If you are currently unhappy with the look of your gum, gum bleaching could be the ultimate solution for restoring your glow.
Gum bleaching is one of many dental services provided by Dr. Peter Rinaldi and the Rinaldi Dental Arts team. Here’s what you need to know about the procedure and what it can achieve for your smile.
The Impact of Gum Discoloration
When you picture the perfect smile, it’s almost certain that you think of straight white teeth embedded into healthy gums that are pink, firm, and consistent in color. However, you may find that your gums appear a lot darker than most, and it could be due to a host of reasons. The list includes, but is not limited to, poor oral hygiene, ethnicity, medications, and lifestyle habits.
Unfortunately, dark gums or gums that have patches of different colors on them can look unattractive even when the issues do not link to poor oral health. This may bring a host of negative impacts to your life, with some examples being:
- Reduced confidence and increased anxiety in social situations.
- An unconscious reluctance to smile, which can impact your look and relationships.
- Make any imperfections with your teeth stand out even more.
- Impact the way that other people respond to you during face-to-face communication.
- Generally, leave you hating your facial appearance.
For all of those reasons, correcting the gum discoloration should be high on your list of priorities. Gum bleaching is the most likely answer, regardless if in conjunction with other treatments or on its own.
How Gum Bleaching Works
Gum bleaching, also known as gum depigmentation, is a very popular treatment for cosmetic dentistry. Thousands of patients receive it every year to combat dark gums or inconsistent appearances to restore their smiles and self-esteem. The process is completed in one of two ways:
- Laser treatment.
At Rinaldi Dental Arts, our experts use advanced laser treatments to create a consistent pink gum through precision treatments that target the affected areas of the gum. Gum discoloration is caused by pigmentation (in cases where gum bleaching is an option), which is what the lasers correct. They react with moisture in the mouth to gently remove the superficial layer of pigmented tissue cells. This allows the pink-colored coral gingiva layer to show.
The laser can target the pigmented tissue with precision, speed, and safety. This makes gum bleaching a very effective treatment with predictable results.
Dr. Rinaldi can complete gum bleaching in a single appointment. The treatment itself lasts for just 20 to 45 minutes, depending on the darkness and size of the patch. Laser gum depigmentation is suitable for both the upper gum and lower gum.
Gum depigmentation can improve the look of the marginal gum, attached gum, and interdental gum. It offers a truly comprehensive transformation and aesthetic restoration.
Gum Bleaching Results and Expectations
Gum bleaching is highly effective when pigmented cells cause darker gums. A single session can transform the look of your gums and smile. The completed treatment will produce pink gums that:
- Look healthier and feel firmer
- Restore your confident smile
- Are better matched to the color of your tongue and cheeks
- Help your gums look more shapely
- Produce melanin at a slower rate due to the laser treatment
Gum pigmentation should last for at least 20-25 years but can actually provide lifelong results. It is considered one of the best value-for-money cosmetic dental treatments on the market. The treatment continues to help restore thousands of winning smiles every year.
The process is only performed on the gums above and below the front of the teeth. The benefits of the purely cosmetic treatment would not show at the back of your teeth.
Other Benefits from Gum Bleaching Treatments
Gum bleaching can be a life-changing procedure that delivers the same boost of confidence and attraction offered by teeth whitening and alignment treatments. However, you may additionally experience a plethora of other rewards as a result of the procedure. Some of these benefits include:
- Your dentist can check for reasons behind the discoloration. Addison’s disease, for example, and a host of other factors can cause Black gums. The gum depigmentation consultation is an opportunity to rule out medical issues and confirm that the treatment will deliver cosmetic upgrades.
- Gum bleaching encourages you to take better care of your overall oral hygiene and pay greater attention to future changes in the mouth.
- Gum bleaching indirectly improves the appearance of teeth, lips, and the mouth in general. Not least, because you’ll subconsciously alter your smile.
Gum bleaching itself is a popular treatment due to its safety, minimally-invasive procedure, and speedy recovery time. Perhaps most importantly, the improvements for your smile are seen with immediate results.
Suitable Candidates for Gum Depigmentation
Gum bleaching is a significant treatment, albeit fairly uncomplicated, and yields potentially permanent results. You must ensure that it is the solution you want. Dr. Rinaldi will discuss this in full detail during your consultation. However, if you are not pleased with dark or patchy gums, and have healthy gums, there’s a strong chance that it will be the right choice.
However, prospective candidates will also need to check suitability by confirming that:
- The gums are in generally good health, and not impacted by conditions like gingivitis.
- You are not taking blood thinners, which can cause excessive bleeding and complications.
- You understand the proposed results, the process used, and general aftercare requirements.
For a patient who is conscious of their dark or patchy gums, though, gum depigmentation is usually the ultimate solution.
Learn More About Gum Bleaching in Chevy Chase
If you’re unhappy with the appearance and color of your gums, gum bleaching at Rinaldi Dental Arts is a great solution. Contact Dr. Rinaldi to schedule a consultation to discuss the procedure, suitability, and potentially life-changing results.