Enhancing Your Gum Health for Better Quality of Life
Periodontal disease (or gum disease) is one of the most common diseases in America and it affects patients in various stages. These stages are as follows:
- Bleeding – Your gums begin to bleed with brushing and flossing.
- Gingivitis – Your gums become swollen, red, and tender.
- Early Periodontitis – The gums begin to recede from the teeth creating “pockets”.
- Moderate Periodontitis – The “pockets” between the teeth and gums deepen.
- Advanced Periodontitis – Your teeth may become unstable and shift.
- Severe Periodontitis – Severe bone loss has occurred and tooth extraction may be necessary.
To combat this, early detection and treatment are essential in preventing gum disease from progressing to more advanced stages.